Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Ryland Towne Class of 2013

I thought my high school career at Righetti would only consist of two things, academics and athletics. Yet as I look back at those four amazing years, I find something else that left a lasting impact on me outside of the classrooms and off the court. 
I was first introduced to Special Olympics during my sophomore year.  Growing up, I had a cousin with an intellectual disability. I was often afraid of his sudden outbursts and therefore made an effort to maintain my distance. I had heard about the Special Olympics club from a friend and thought that volunteering would be the best way to overcome my childish fear. As I arrived at the first practice, my stomach soon became filled with butterflies. Yet as I walked in Alic Jun, the president of the club, immediately greeted me and introduced me to each and every athlete. All of the athletes embraced me with a high five and the brightest smiles I had ever witnessed. It was safe to say that I was hooked.
The next few years I made it my goal to get involved in any way possible. I soon became president of the club my junior year and continued in that position until graduation.  
I have continued my passion for Special Olympics into college and as of now I am the External Vice President for Special Olympics at UCLA.
Righetti provided opportunities for me to expand my interests and follow some truly amazing passions. I will forever be grateful for my experiences at Ernest Righetti High School.


No comments:

Post a Comment